Thursday, December 2, 2010

Post-op

So my last blog post ended just before they gave me my versed for my lymph node biopsy and port being put in.  When I woke up from the surgery I immediately noticed my neck hurt A LOT.  I didn't understand why my neck would be hurting and in my drunkin' stooper from the anesthesia I asked why it hurt so bad.  The nurse told me it was from the catheter in the port.  I didn't understand what she was talking about, I just knew it hurt A LOT.  She went to get me a percocet so I could get the pain under control.  I didn't want Jeremiah coming back until that was under control because I didn't want him to worry about me.

Upon further investigation once I got home, this is how the port looks and works:
The round part is the port part that is in the upper part of my chest.  The catheter coming off of it runs under my skin up my chest and into the major vein in the middle of my neck.  THAT explains why it hurts so much.  In the middle of the round part is a rubber flap.  That is where they will draw all of my blood and administer my chemo.  

So now I have three incisions.  Under my left armpit where they did the lymph node biopsy, my upper chest where they inserted the port, and in the middle of my neck where the catheter feeds into that vein.  With all these bandages on me I look like I've been in a fight.  :)

I got up to use the restroom before they discharged me, and I thought I was going to throw up all over the place.  They finally got it under control so I could go home.  Dr. Johnson (my surgeon) had called in my pain medicine prior to the procedure, but unfortunately when we got to the Kroger pharmacy around 7:00 pm they couldn't find it.  I felt so bad calling Dr. Johnson on her cell phone to hook me up with the drugs...but I know she didn't mind.  I love that lady.  Thank you Lord for sending me to her first.  I kept the Lortab in me on a regular basis through Sunday and took my last one Monday night.  I tried to just control the discomfort with Tylenol extra strength the rest of the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment