Thursday, December 2, 2010

2nd half of my surgery day -- Thurs. December 2

So.  We now know why we had to be at the hospital at 8:00 am for a 1:00 pm surgery time yesterday.  The first 1 1/2 hrs was spent getting fluids in my system.  At around 10:00 am, they took me to ultrasound for an injection to see what lymph node the left breast is draining into so they can get the right biopsy.  I didn't know they were going to do this.  When the radiologist told me they were going to be doing the injection in the areola area of the breast, I immediately asked for a shot of tequila before starting.  The radiologist told me he only had scotch back in his office.  After the injection was done I was taken to nuclear medicine to get images of the lymph node...then I was taken back to my little itty bitty area in pre-op.  I was given the metallic silver hat/shower cap to put on to help keep me warm when I go to surgery.  What a look, huh?






My new nurse, Nancy, asked me if I had any family members with me.  I told her my husband was in the waiting room.  She said she would go get him for me.  Guess she forgot.  Because I spent 30-40 minutes just counting the squares on my curtains, and playing tissue basketball with my box of tissue and the trash can. 








Finally another nurse peaked in on me because I was being so quiet.  She realized no one went to get Jeremiah for me.  Thank you nurse #3.  I was hoping I'd get to see my husband before the surgery.


 It was about 12:50 pm when the nurse came to give me my shot of versed.  YES!  Let's get the over with shall we?  I got to talk briefly with Dr. Johnson (my surgeon) before they willed me to the operating room.  When I woke up I was hurting badly.  Especially where the port is and the catheter that is running up my chest to the main artery in my neck.  Because I was hurting so bad I didn't want Jeremiah to get upset, so I waited until the Percocet kicked in before I had the nurses get him.  We finally got home around 6:45 last night.  I ended up sleeping on the couch with my Christmas tree lit up.  I made sure to get up every 6 hours and take my pain medication.  I want to stay ahead of the pain, not let it get out of control.  

No comments:

Post a Comment