Thursday, January 20, 2011

Chemo #3

January 20, 2011

Woah!  My only word to describe today.  I had chemo #3.  I get my chemo where ever my oncologist is.  Today she is at her office at Kennestone Hospital.  When going through chemo, you will start associating certain sounds, smells, and visuals with the entire chemo process...and it's not a good association.  Here are my strong dislikes. 

#1  I officially can not stand the smell of rubbing alcohol or the saline flush (that you can actually taste!) when they are accessing my port.  I literally want to throw up with both of these smells.  On top of that, I accidentally saw the needle that accesses my port.  HOLY COW!  Shouldn't have done that!

#2  The beeping alarm from the infusion pumps.  There are a lot of people in the infusion room with you, and the alarms are constantly going off.  (i.e. the iv bag is low, someone has accidentally blocked the line by sitting on the iv cord or bending their arm too much, and I believe just to drive the nurses crazy)  I seriously jump when I hear any noise remotely near the sound of these infusion pumps.  I wonder if the nurses have nightmares about them?

#3  The color of my chemo.  They call it the red devil for a reason.  It is evil...but it is hopefully going to save my life.  See that syringe with all the red stuff in it?  That's my chemo.  When the nurse started heading toward my chair with it, I told her that she has the wrong person, to keep on moving and check someone else's armband.  No matter how pitiful I looked, she didn't fall for it.  :(





#4 Chick-fil-a.  I know, I know.  What's wrong with me?  How could I not like Chick-fil-a.  Well, I had Jeremiah get it for me for lunch at my first two chemos.  I guess my mind has associated Chick-fil-a with all the unpleasantness of chemo.  I took one bite of my sandwich today, and spit it right into the bag.  Can't do it.  So remember, don't eat anything you truly love while going through chemo.  TRUST ME!





Positives to put against today's negatives:  Dr. Volas-Redd (my oncologist) said it feels like the mass has shrunk 50%, my mom sent me a text about a new procedure to detect cancer cells faster called Liquid Biopsy, a touching story about a toddler who survived breast cancer



I want to say thank you to a special lady (Amy Moores) that I first met on the job years ago.  She now lives just 2 miles down the road from me, and we are reunited at a different work place.  Shortly after getting home tonight, she brought supper to my house.  The chocolate chip cookies were calling my name.  They were soooooo yummy!  Thank you so much, Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment