Monday, November 29, 2010

PET scan

Had PET scan done today.  You an click on PET scan to read the medical terms, etc about it.  I'll explain it in us plain people talk.  :)  So they take me back to my room and get me prepped for the injection of glucose and radioactive material.  Before they do the injection, the nurse asks me what I have planned for the rest of the afternoon.  I told her I was planning on going back to work if enough time was left after I finished the test.  She informed me that I would be there for at least 1 1/2 to 2 hours, and then proceeds to tell me it is ok to go back to work but not to be super up close to the parents, kids, or coworkers because of the stuff they are injecting in me.  She told me not to kiss on Jeremiah either...that I can just blow him a kiss until early evening after the half life has ended.

**Dude?!  Am I going to start glowing like the blue guy in Watchmen?!**

Then they bring a cart in with a thick metal box that the metal syringe of the radioactive material is in.  After she does the injection, she gives me a cup of what I thought was water at first and tells me to drink at least half of it quickly,  I thought, "Thank you so much for letting me have something to drink."  I drink A LOT of water every day and not having anything to drink for 4 hours was hard for me.  I took my first sip and almost gagged.  Whew!  I have tasted worse but this was hard to stomach when I haven't eaten lunch yet.  Then I processed the fact that she closed the door when she left and said she would be back in an hour.  Why did she close the door?  Was she afraid the second head I grew from this stuff would scare the other patients?

All of this for a quick 15 minute scan...but a quick 15 minute scan that will let us know if the cancer has spread anywhere else in my body.  I'll get the results when I see the oncologist this Friday.

Hope everyone in ATL survived the cold rainy day today!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment