Saturday, March 19, 2011

I got to see Demetri today!...and then the inside of the ER

My mom and I ran some errands this morning before a friend I have known since I was 5 was coming up to visit.  It was a little chilly this morning so I put my blue jeans on, but they are soooooo tight.  How could I have put that much weight on?  I am hardly eating anything.

Demetri's mom and my mom worked together at the elementary school we attended.  We became friends quickly, and even though we lost contact with each other after middle school we finally reconnected.  He brought his son Jackson, a.k.a. Deuce, to visit as well.  Demetri, thank you for understanding that I am so devoid of energy and it was hard for me to stay awake.  Your visit really lifted my spirits.  I hope you don't mind me borrowing your picture from your Facebook page.  The one I took of the both of you didn't come out well.



About an hour after Demetri left, I discovered that my legs were extremely swollen.  I called the on call line with my oncologist office.  The doctor asked me if I have had trouble breathing as well.  I never really paid attention, but I have been pretty winded when I walk even short distances.  They told me to go straight to the ER.
 When I got there, the nurse gave me a mask immediately and took me to the back because of me being exposed to everyone who is sick while my white blood count is low.  Duh, Dana!

I had an EKG, CT scan, ultrasound, and chest x-rays done.  Everything came out ok with the tests, with the exception of me having my lungs full of fluid.  Oh, so that's why I haven't been able to breathe well when doing anything other than lying in bed.  They think it is from all of the iv fluids and antibiotics.  All I needed was a shot of Lasix.  They made sure I knew where the bathroom was because I would be getting rid of the fluid through my kidneys.  Translation....LOTS of trips to the bathroom.  The nurse wasn't kidding.  I barely made it to the restroom.  After about 6 trips, I started to feel a bit better.  I knew I had to be in the outpatient area of the same hospital in about 5 hours for the iv fluid and antibiotic (ha!  that's what sent me to the e.r.), so I asked if I could just stay there and then walk over to the outpatient area.    They said that was fine, so I watched a little television and then fell asleep.


And the fun continues......I begged the nurse at the ER to leave the i.v. in so I wouldn't have to be stuck again.  We can't use my left arm anymore due to danger of blood clots after my lymph node biopsy.  My doctors used my port a lot, but I don't have it anymore, remember?

So the veins in my right arm are pretty much shot.  When I woke up my upper right arm (where the i.v. was) was hurting badly.  Looks like it blew the vein...the third one since I had been there tonight.  So I do have to be stuck again.  The nurses in the outpatient area had to use ultrasound to find a vein

My arm bruised pretty badly from the first two veins that blew.

Using ultrasound to find one good vein.  They had to look for a deep one.
It was very painful after they found one.

I treated myself to a little breakfast while getting my infusions.
I haven't had a cinnamon roll and bacon in MONTHS!
Fighting cancer is soooooo hard, but no one said it would be easy.  I'm just so glad I have the Lord on my side.



No comments:

Post a Comment