Friday, February 18, 2011

rut roh

 Today is my weekly appointment with my oncologist.  I woke up this morning not feeling well.  It's hard to tell if it's from the chemo or if it could be something more.  I have a really bad headache as well.

The nurse (Connie) started off checking my blood pressure, temperature, and drawing blood for my weekly blood work.  They want to know what my white blood cell count is and check my liver/kidney function, etc.

Low blood pressure (86/40) + high heart rate (144) + low grade temp = why I'm not feeling well

Dr. Volas-Redd wants me to start i.v. fluids today.  He is my response, "I already have a lunch date scheduled with my mom and friend (Monique).  Can I please eat lunch first and then come back?"  My body is being torn to the lowest point it can possibly go from the chemo and it's side effects, and I want to go to my lunch date.  They told me I could go to lunch if someone else drove.  They don't want me to be behind the wheel and I have a stroke from the high blood pressure (...and kill myself and/or someone else)  I'm by myself, so I drove to the restaurant and my mom drove me back to the doctor.


It's 2:00 and the fluids have started.  The hope is it will help bring my heart rate down.  After it was finished, it was down to 132.  They said I need to drink as much fluid as I can, but I can't stand the taste of water or the texture of it.  Yes, you heard me right.  Water does have a taste and texture when you are on chemo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment